Geng 和中国旅游客

Geng : The Adventure Begins is a real hit in the cinemas now. LCPeans now working real hard to promote the film. We went to many places around Klang Valley to survey the acceptance of the audience on the film. FYI, LCP assigned me into the event team-I'm working full time in the event team, yeay!

I have posted this in LCP blog, but here, I want to share my personal experience during this event. The best part of this event is, I met couple of tourists from China, and to be exact, they're from Guang Zhou 广州! How did I know that they're from China? Of course from their Mandarin dialects. As I spoke to them, I knew that they're not Malaysian.

Here are a short conversation between me with one of the tourist...


旅游客: 哗!你说的普通话那么好。你该是华人吧?
Wow, your Mandarin is awesome. Are you Chinese?
(I felt a little awkward when she mention the 普通话 word. It's pretty rare to use it in Malaysia)
艾达: 还好啦... 哦,不是 ,我是马来人...
Not really... No, I'm not, I'm Malay...
(Am so proud to say that I am Malay)
旅游客: 你说的很流利。真的很像华人哦...
You speak Mandarin as if you're Chinese...
艾达: 嘻嘻 ... 我以前在广州留学一个月。
Hehe... I've attend a short course at Guang Zhou before...
旅游客: 广州? 那一件大学?
Guang Zhou? Which school?

艾达: 华南理工大学。
South China University of Technology
旅游客: 我们也是广州人呀!以前我的老公也是从那件大学毕业的!

We are also from Guang Zhou. My husband graduated from that school, too!
艾达: ...

(I didn't know how to react, then I quickly ask Nachimi take a picture of us together)

She had bought the Upin & Ipin and Geng stickers and the Geng notebook. I felt extremely happy. Besides, she had bring her friends to purchase our products. Why? Read on...

They had bought three Upin & Ipin knapsacks!

旅游客: 这些是马来西亚做的吗?
Are these made in Malaysia?
艾达: 当然!这是马来西亚最出名的3D卡通片!
Absolutely, this is Malaysia's most famous 3D animation series!
(I think I'm a lil' excited here)

旅游客: 这两个是双胞胎吗?
Are they twins?
艾达: 说的没错! 有头发的是哥哥叫Upin,那没有头发的是弟弟叫Ipin。

Exactly! The one with a single hair strand is the elder brother Upin and the other one us Ipin.
(Trying very hard to control myself, but I just can't. I explain it over excitedly)

旅游客: 哦... 这怎么卖的?
How much is this?
(Pointing at the knapsack)

艾达: 这个... 28零吉,err... 不是,不是... 应该马币才对...
This... 28 ringgit, err... No, no I mean Malaysian currency...
(It's really hard for me to speak the appropriate Mandarin)

旅游客: 我们想要找本地的作品,带回家送给别人才有意思...
We're looking for local products here, it is much more meaningful to bring back local goods as momentos...
艾达: 对,对,对!

(Saying betul, betul, betul! in Mandarin)

When the tourist left, suddenly I had a strange feeling that I missed the good old days when I studied at China.

And so, anyway, there's a group of Chinese family stopped at our booth and look at the products. Here's another conversation between me and a Chinese customer.

阿姨: 这个卡通片是谁画的?
Who made this cartoon series?
艾达: 是我们做的...
It's us...
(I pointed to all of my collegues there)
阿姨: 是马来西亚人做的?
Made by Malaysians?
(Looking at me in disbelieve)
艾达: 是啊... 阿姨, 你也知道Upin和Ipin?
Yes... Auntie, how did you know about Upin & Ipin?
(I asked her curiously...)
阿姨: 我没看,可是我的孩子全部都很喜欢看 。
No, I didn't watch it. But my kids love it very much.
艾达: 阿姨, 你知道Geng吗?

Auntie, have you heard about Geng?
阿姨: 知道,知道... 我的孩子有和我说,他们很想看,可是票已经卖完了...
I know, I heard about it. My kids told me and they really wanted to watch the movie but it's really hard to get the tickets...

I helped her to bluetooth the latest Geng ring tones to her cell phone. Because she's using Mandarin features in her cell phone. (I just learned something new today. Bluetooth in Mandarin is called 蓝牙. 蓝 means blue and 牙 is tooth... What a direct translation!)

I'm so happy that even the Chinese love Upin & Ipin. Even the mother admit that it's a good medium for her kids to learn Bahasa Malaysia. I'm so glad to hear the positive reaction from a Chinese audience. I would like to state here that Geng is more than just a Malay film, it's a Malaysian film. So if you're Malaysian, you have to watch this movie.

Frankly speaking, I felt awful because I couldn't speak the appropriate Mandarin. I have to read and write more to improve my Mandarin skills. But anyway, it's a great feeling that I can promote Geng and Upin & Ipin to the tourists. Who knows that someday Upin & Ipin or Geng will enter the China market, aite?

* I wish I could write the whole conversation to share with all of you. But I don't quite remember the exact conversation. I only remembered the best part of it...

Comments

Razuri Ajmain said…
saya bertindak sebagai salah seorang rakan anda amat bangga lah kerana anda FASIH berbahasa mandarin. Bak kata orang, dia punya 'Tanwin' tu memang tajam lah. Jadi saya amat men 'support' lah kegiatan awak nak memperkasa kan lagi bahasa mandarin nie. Diharap usah lah sekadar hangat2 taik ayam yer.
mediahorizon said…
Ooooo panjang je cakap aritu... tapi maksudnya ini aje?
Googoozool said…
Ni hao ma? sip fan aa...
IdaMandarin said…
To Ee: Terima kasih la En. Ee atas komen anda. Meskipun anda ditewaskan oleh Render Pal dlm list rakan baik saya, namun anda tetap bestlah... Saya akan berusaha!加油~加油~

To Mumu: Ye, ini sahaja. Kalau catit selebihnya akan nampak mcm stalker dan menjelekan semua orang (-_-)"

To Googoo: 很好~刚吃 nasi lemak...
Mr. Janggel said…
Waaa cayalah miss!!! Kagum saya membacanya!
IdaMandarin said…
Tq Mr. Janggel! v(^-^)
Masa kawan saya cadang saya tengok kartun malaysia "upin & ipin", saya tertarik oleh ceritanya dan cara penyampaian.saya sangt suka cerita Upin & Ipin,sangat bagus!boleh bertanding dengan kartun Barat.bahasa Mandarin Ida pun bagus!Saya sokong Ida.---melati
IdaMandarin said…
Terima kasih atas sokongan anda Melati. Terima kasih juga kerana menggemari Upin & Ipin, saya seronok baca blog awak, harap akan ada lebih byk update lg! Anyway, nice to meet ya~ (^^,)

Popular Posts